Healthy Relationships and Bonding – Peer Relationships
The program emphasizes the importance of healthy peer relationships and creates structures and process to facilitate positive relationships.
Download the full form
|NOT YET DEVELOPED (1)||BEGINNING |
|*3.B.1 The program guides youth on how to create a positive bond with their peers.
|The program does not intentionally guide youth on how to interact with each other in positive ways, or have norms relating to appropriate interaction. |
|The program provides limited guidance on appropriate means of communication among youth and on how to give and receive peer feedback. ||The program uses activities and instruction on how to give and receive feedback, listen actively, demonstrate respect, resolve conflict, and other forms of positive social interaction and on inappropriate forms of communication. |
|The program has instilled youth with knowledge, skills, and behaviors on how to actively care for each other and trust each other and use these skills outside of the program. ||Score:
- Program assumes that youth will interact positively with each other without additional lessons, activities, or support.
- At the beginning of the program, staff give an overview of good communication practices, but do not reinforce or mention them again
- Participants are taught about what bullying and teasing are and how to provide feedback in constructive and respectful ways.
- Participants are taught about the positive and negative impacts of peer relations, and how to say no to negative influences.
- Staff help youth manage challenges in group work, such as miscommunication, in productive way.
- There is an expectation that youth will demonstrate empathy, active listening, sharing personal experiences, and responding to others’ stories with care and respect.
- Youth work in teams to develop a sense of group identity and purpose.
- Youth use the strategies learned in the program for positive bonding outside of the program.
|*3.B.2 The program builds a sense of community and trust.
| The program does not have structured activities to create a sense of community. || The program has limited activities for youth to work together towards shared goals and create trust. ||The program builds and fosters positive relationships among youth through a variety of strategies that create connections among youth and facilitate sharing of personal experiences within the program. ||The program builds and fosters positive relationships among youth within as well as outside of the program. ||Score:
- Program has no team/community building activities.
- Program begins with a team building activity but does no additional activities over the course of the program.
- Program activities has sharing circles and personal storytelling
to create trust and connections among members.
- Program uses some rituals such as songs, mottos, or uniforms to create a sense of identity among participants.
- Program uses ice breakers and team building exercises throughout the course of the program.
- The organization has rituals, routines, and/or special events/outings to create a sense of belonging/ownership.
- Alumni programs enable the sense of community to continue beyond participation.
- Program implements a standardized process/curriculum to instill trust for peers not only in the organization but also outside of the classroom.
- Youth interact with each other outside of the classroom and invite each other to activities outside of the program.
- Youth introduce each other to friends from outside the program.